Spider hospitalises girl in Essex

An 8-year-old girl in Colchester, Essex, has undergone surgery for skin grafts after being bitten by the poisonous Brown Recluse Spider. Pest Control Specialists discovered an infestation at her home in the south of England.


Abbie Kinnaird was rushed to hospital after antibiotics given by her at a walk-in centre failed to stop the infection in her hand. The bite- administered by the spider which fell from her bedroom ceiling- began as a small red sore before becoming inflamed and latterly black.


The young girl’s Mum told of her daughters upset, “We were told she would need a skin graft and within a couple of hours she was sent into surgery. They cut out all the black and flushed out whatever was inside.”


They are now staying with family whilst a comprehensive treatment of the property is being undertaken.


Brown Recluse Spiders are native to North America and have a bite which can lead to necrosis of the skin. It is unclear how the spider came to reside in the family’s Essex home. In November 2015, the first fatality after being bitten by this spider, occurred in Italy. If bitten, first aid involves the application of an ice pack to control inflammation and prompt medical care. If it can be easily captured, the spider should be brought with the patient in a clear, tightly closed container so it may be identified.

Back to blog